Skip to main content

Socrates Cafe Comes to Harlem!

Martin Luther King Speaks of Socrates in the Birmingham Jail!




"But I must confess that I am not afraid of the word “tension.” 
I have earnestly opposed violent tension, but there is a type of constructive,
 nonviolent tension which is necessary for growth. 
Just as Socrates felt that it was necessary 
to create a tension in the mind so that individuals 
could rise from the bondage of myths 
and half-truths to the unfettered realm of creative analysis
and objective appraisal, 
we must see the need for nonviolent gadflies 
to create the kind of tension in society 
that will help men rise from the dark depths of prejudice 
and racism to the majestic heights of understanding and brotherhood."

Healthy Dialogues - Buildings Healthy Communities!

What started me on this quest was a training course about Customer Service. The course dealt with some concepts of self help, ‘Know they self,’ how to communicate, and interact with others.
At the onset of the course the instructor quoted Socrates, “Know They Self’, he did not say that it was Socrates.  I was familiar with the quote from not only Socrates, but other community thinkers that are champions for the uplifting of the marginalized and oppressed. I remembered another quote by Socrates, “I know that I am intelligent, because I know nothing.” I ordered some books on the subject of Socrates, and discovered Socrates Café by Christopher Phillips. His work is bringing philosophy to the people in the same way that Socrates did.  

My community and many communities around the world are in need of healthy dialogue; a how-to. If we are to improve as people, organizations, an ethnic group, groups, a nation, a world; how to communicate effectively is a crucial key component. If we are to come to viable solutions that will promote positive actions; learning the Socratic Method can be a valuable tool. If we are to build a society that is transparent and participatory, communication skills are vital.  

We are in a global predicament, at a juncture in human history, in terms of which way forward.  Questioning is key. Know thy self is empowering. We have been empowered with brains by the creator with the ability to question, and to think. The challenge is to acquire skills to think collectively, to create better environments, and a better world. There should not be a monopoly on thought or thinking, but a process for many, and not for a few. We have all been endowed to think, to learn, and to grow. Creativity and curiosity are tools for empowerment in achieving human greatness, for the love of the mind, and God. There is beauty, when minds meet each other in open dialogue. 

Building communities of inquiry is a wonderful thing, exploring using dialogue, dialectic thinking, critical thinking, African dialectics, the Socratic Method are all a part of human reality, and growth. This method belongs to all of us; a productive important way forward. It tunes us into tapping into each others' God given knowledge. It is a way to expand each others' horizons, and to expand, and grow our communities. These are wisdom encounters. 

It is important that common folks are heard, and that space is created for healthy dialogue. We live in a so-called democratic society. Yet we are always hearing people say that the American people are ‘dummied down’, and that television creates couch potatoes. If we are a nation of couch potatoes and consumers then we are the opposite of a democratic society. The public should be encouraged, and trained to think. In most of our political elections the real issues are not discussed.  Just think the sources for great plays, writers, novelists, and great thinkers comes from the populous.

I am planning a Socrates Café event in Harlem, in June. If you are interested, or have any questions that you think should be explored collectively, please feel free email me at,  belrivers@gmail.com.

Bring philosophy to the Streets to the communities, as we self examine and learn to communicate and respect each other, so as we can create better sustainable environments. 

* Gadfly is a person who upsets the  status quo by posing upsetting or novel questions.
   "to sting people and w hip them into a fury, all in the service of truth". Socrates, referred to himself as a gadfly. 

To sting people out of their complacency, to arouse. 


Below Please Find Videos, An Examined Life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfD3X3f5C_w

  Cornel West - An Examined Life!


Cornel West: So here we are in the middle of the Big Apple.

Astra Taylor: Since we haven’t settled on a theme in advance, let me throw some possibilities at you: truth, faith, love –

West: Truth is fine, truth is fine. Absolutely.

Taylor: OK, let’s go for truth. A big topic. [The engine starts and we begin our drive downtown.]

West: I think in many ways it is the ultimate question: What is truth? How do we understand truth and what are the ways in which we wrestle with truth? And I believe that Theodor Adorno was right when he said that the condition of truth is to allow suffering to speak. He said that the condition of truth is to allow suffering to speak – that gives it an existential emphasis, you see, so that we’re really talking about truth as a way of life, as opposed to a set of propositions that correspond to a set of things in the world.

Sincerely,

Adjoa Linda Fletcher

My Ideas, on Questions to Ponder!


I have been reading Socrates’ Way. It is an exploration in learning to value, and learn how-to dialogue effectively. I realized in the process of organizing for a Socrates' dialogue session, that I had not come up with a question to ask. A question that I want to be explored. I thought that I needed to come up with a question that can be beneficial to others, to myself, and my community in a truly Socratic Way. I have been searching for the right question.  When a question did surface with an ‘Ahah’, I realized that the question had already been in my mind.

Each generation of parents, and educators have the task of preparing youth for the future, and  how to deal with life. The future is unknown. If this is the case, what do we do.  It is a task, and a responsibility.  The more I thought about coming up with one question, other questions came to mind. What did my parents prepare me for? What did their parents prepare them for?  Did they ask themselves questions in regards to what environment their children will grow up in?  Do parents give the question of what to prepare their children for much thought? Is the question answered for them by society?  Do we question, or do we go along with the norm.

When I was growing up reading was a big part of my environment.  I read whatever was in front of me. I liked magazines. Whenever I would visit some ones home I liked looking at their magazines. The coffee table was the showcase for magazines in most homes. My father would read the newspaper at the dinner table before dinner and afterwards.  I read cereal boxes, bubble gum and candy wrappers.  They were a source of reading material.  

What did my parents instill, implanted, and taught me that has survived?  I think the main thing was ‘get an education’, and read. My childhood friend and neighbor’s father would always say get some book sense when he would catch us being unproductive. We played library when we were in grammar school. I loved being a child. I was full of  what(s), and why(s). My mother was good at answering my questions. I learned a lot of history from my mother. My mother Willa Mae Sudduth is a conscious Black woman. She knew that the world was rough outside, and would remind me of the reality of hardships in the world outside. She knew who the Black leaders were, and this was my political introduction. I like the fact that I had a mother and father, in spite of the hardships they had in raising five children. My father was the major bread winner, but my mother joined the workforce. She went to Laney college in Oakland, and learned how to sew on power machines. I remember she once had a job making parachutes. My mother's best friend was Edna. They did a lot together. It was a productive friendship. They canned fruits and vegetables during the summer for the winter months. They made quilts together. The kitchen was their meeting place in the mornings when their husbands went to work. 

Music was a part of my environment growing up; bebop, Sarah Vaugh, Nancy Wilson, Lou Rawls, Count Basie. What my father called the ‘pretty blues’. We had a vegetable garden. We had a peach tree. Easter lilies  grew on the side of the house along with strawberries that would appear every spring. I remember the snap dragons, the bird of paradise plant, roses, and carnations that would grow in our yard. We had a back yard, side yards, and a front yard. Flowers were like toys along with making mud pies. We would pick the thorns off the rose stems and connect them. I loved pretending to cook and making mud pies, and playing with dolls. I loved watching my mother cook, and sew. She was very thorough,  precise, creative, and crafty. This was the artist side of my mother. I think this is why today I love vegetables. There was a wide variety of vegetables that my mother prepared for meals. Snacks were healthy, too. We ate pumpkin seeds, walnuts with honey, lemons with peppermint sticks in the center, celery and peanut butter.  We had home made ice cream. Desserts were varied  too, lemon cream pies, oatmeal cookies, tea cakes, chocolate cakes, pumpkin and sweet potatoes pies. It was like a restaurant eating wonderful Louisiana Creole cuisine.  My father's tools were my toys. I liked playing with hammers, wheel barrels, and the mysterious measuring tool that had water enclosed in the center. I played with rakes, hoes, and hole makers. I used the lawnmower, grass edging tool My father's outings were interesting, too. I think he took us to certain places to implant knowledge and information into our brains.

I remember outings to grape fields in central California, apricot fields, and natural nature parks, and hay rides. One field trip that sticks out in my mind is when he took us; my sister and our neighbor friends to Walnut Creek to pick walnuts. This was quite an experience. This was the first time I saw black migrant workers in the fields of California. It looked like I had been transformed to the South. I thought I lived up North or rather out West. It was an outing for us. My father left us in the fields, and came back when it was time to pick us up. We worked a while, and then we got smart. We gave that foreman hell. We would pick some rolls of walnuts, and then drag them to another row and get extra credit. We kept finding ways to out smart the foreman. I remember one of the neighbor kids out a hold of the puncher, and we adding points to our cards. It was all about outsmarting the foreman. I think we won.

We lived in an all Black suburban neighborhood. Most of the families had mothers and fathers. This was before integration. It was a real sense of working and middle class community. There were seasoned musicians, artists, doctors, a dentist; you name it – it was a part of the community. I was a child observer like most children. My mother was very close to her family, even though most of them were still in Louisiana. She always talked about her family with admiration. She had a uncle, they would call Uncle Henry who lived not too far away. It was wonderful visiting my Uncle Henry in Sacramento in Oak Park. These were family outings I cherish. They built their own house. Many black families in the late 50s built their own homes. The men had skills, and during the summers family get-togethers were working on building a house. These are lasting impressions that I cherish deeply. My mother's family was an extended family. She had lots of uncles and relatives. She lived on a sustainable farm that was owned before the Civil War.  I love getting historical details from my mother. They raised chickens, ducks, cotton, beekeeping, grew their own food. They used herbs for medicine. They had a compost toilet. They even had a compost pile. 

What did I teach my daughter?   I came of age during very turbulent times. As the song goes the ‘times they were a changing’. People moved a lot. I felt that this would create a sense of uneasiness; whereas I grew up when neighbors stayed the same.  I did not really know what to do. I did feel that it was important that she attend church and college. I went to church as a child. A lot of my friends, and other young people in my age group when I become of age did not think going to church was important. I went against the grain. 

I think the main focus in raising my daughter was for her to get an education, and to expose her to films, the arts, and culture. I was very vigilant. I wanted to make sure that she was exposed to math, and the sciences. She went to a lot of political events, and exploring the nature environment I felt was important. The early part of her growing up was in Sonoma Valley. We lived on different farms, while I was going to college. We lived near grape fields, a chicken farm, and an apple farm. One day she wondered into a neighbors yard and was running with the horses.  I took this task very serious. I was very vigilant. I wanted to make sure that she was exposed to math, and the sciences. 

To be continued. 
A work in progress.
This is a draft.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Palestine - Culture, History.

Palestine Culture , History. What you will not learn on the evening news.  The Wikipedia Book Creator is not operative. Alkebulan Wiki Edit and Study Group have decided to use blogspot instead until Wikipedia Book Creator gets reinstalled. Palestine History Map Gaza Before & After Bombing Attacks.  During  Sheltering in Place we used the Wikipedia Book Creator to create curriculum for learning, research, and discussions.  We had wanted to compile information about Palestine from existing Wikipedia articles. Since most of us know very little about that part of the world; its history, culture, and struggles.   We did a Wikipedia book using the book creator for Ukraine for Dummies. So we decided to do the same for Palestine. The legendary news mainstream does not educate us in ways other than with their agenda as to how we should think.   I wanted to create an article to show what existed in Palestine before the bombing.  We have to take it upon ourselves to self and group educate

JEROME JOHNSON - COMMUNITY SOLAR ENERGY DEMONSTRATION HOUSE

Update: Elder Jerome Johnson has passed away. We are taken aback with sadness. There was no support for his plight in continuing to do community work. He was very angry going thru the ageing process, and his dream of building community was deferred, and ignored. It is so sad how so many elders are treated. Especially, elders like Mr. Johnson who gave so much. His wish was to have the solar house made into a museum.  Jerome Johnson! J erome Johnson is 86 years of age. He exemplifies our society’s disregard towards our ageing population. How our ageing population is treated and ignored. As throwaway items in society. Where elder citizens are told you are old and youth is new). They are not appreciated, and their life long work is disrespected and in many cases seen as irrelevant.    Mr. Johnson is a People’s pioneer in how-to create and invent for the everyday citizen and community. He developed the solar cooker in the 70s, and created a demonstration community s

Che's World - Shashamane

Che's World - Shashamane Che as he is known was born Gorken Wallen in Jamaica. He moved to New York City, and lived in Harlem.  While living in New York City (Harlem) Wallen grew in knowledge and understanding the African Diaspora communities in New York City. Che was able to interact with so many African didasporians that lived in New York City.  He says that living in New York was a learning experience. He learned new skills and polished skills he already had.  Wallen participated in community gardens in Harlem. He was a part of the community garden movement in New York City. He gained gardening skills. He worked with other gardeners in Harlem.  They supported each other, and gave garden walking tours as side events for United Nations Nations Forums; the CSW (the Conference on the Status of Women), Conference on Sustainable Development, United Nations Indigenous Peoples forum. While attending the various United Nations conferences Che became educated in International, and global